Friday, April 3, 2009

I wish I had a brain

So I seem to always do one thing and never learn! I am getting really sick of it and wish I could just get smarter. The past summer I started water to boil and went outside to watch the boys play. I came back in the house to realize I had turned the wrong burner on and a few things that I had left on the stove, had burst into flames. I called for Kev and yelled, "Fire." He came in the house and headed to the sink to get a glass of water to put out the 'small' problem. When he saw what the problem really was he quickly grabbed the fire extinguisher and blast the rapidly growing flames.

What a mess! That powder stuff goes everywhere and took forever to clean up. Well, you would think I would learn to be more careful, and I was, but I still sometimes get rushed making dinner and don't double check the burner. I've done this before and since, luckily, with no consequence, but a few times, I haven't been so lucky.



I turned the wrong burner on again! I had left my 9x13 pan with it's plastic lid on the stove because I was planning to use it after I got dinner on. I noticed the plastic lid melting in from the middle and realized, again, what I had done. I figured I would just get the pan off the heat and worry about it after it cooled, but when I picked it up the pressure caused the whole thing to explode. And I mean explode. Kev came running in to see what had happened. I was just glad I was wearing jeans since the glass went EVERYWHERE. We decided it was a good thing that it was my purple pan so we could see where the glass went.


Because the pan was so hot when it shattered, it melted onto our kitchen floor. This is the worst of the damage(sorry it's blurry, my camera got onto a weird setting), but now we have this all over our floor....


small burn marks that will forever remind me of my stupidity. Maybe now, due to the constant reminder, I will get a clue, and double check which burner I turn on.

10 comments:

ty and megs said...

yikes aubs! glad you are ok. thanks for the reminder. now i will make sure i double check my burners.

Cal and Whit said...

Dang. Cal and I were just talking about getting a fire extinguisher at our house...you know...just in case. I am going to make sure I double check our burners from now on too!

HeatherD said...

Thank goodness for Kevin and purple glass. Close calls. Thanks for saving my butt last weekend. How embaressing was that!

Tan + Es said...

Oh dear.... I'm glad everything's okay, because I have to admit that I laughed REALLY hard when I saw that it happened again :) I like you.

Matt, Karin, Sienna, Sadie & Tanner said...

I am being attacked by kids so I didn't get to read the post- just wanted to say Aubrey, you look GREAT and super skinny. :)

JaMilLyN said...

Here's an idea... maybe you should just take everything off the stove except the thing you want cooked? I don't know. Just a suggestion... You definitely make me laugh though so keep up the good work!

Dave and Ashley Gay said...

Oh sister. A tip: regardless of which burner you think is on never leave the house after turning on a stove.

JPHOWARDFAMILY said...

I agree with David's comment and I am glad that you didnt' get cut. I can't believe how far that flew.

ferkyfam said...

It's called "Mom Brain"... Don't feel bad, it happens to the best of us! :) Thanks for the laugh!

Jimmy, Cassie and Family said...

Your not alone in your stupidity. Fortunately I havn't had a fire but I did have something explode. It just makes you feel like an idiot! Live and learn (hopefully!).