Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Nothing like a little cat for dinner

Today I was cooking some ground beef for dinner and Ty came over. Here's how the conversation went....
Ty: "Mom, what are you cooking?"
Me: "Some meat for dinner." (It came from a tube package, so he was a bit worried.)
Ty: "What kind of meat?"
Me: "Just ground beef, but once it's cooked it'll look better. It's like what we use for meatballs."
Ty: "But what does it come from"
(My brother-in-law hunts and so Ty has been fascinated with which animal is which meat)
I tried to lay low and act like it was no big deal.
Me: "A cow" (I said it quickly so he wouldn't make any judgements)
He didn't say anything and when I looked over he looked like he was trying to control his gag reflex.
Me: "Ok?"
Ty: (Trying to be brave) "Ok, so ground beef from a cat, ok."
I tried so hard not to laugh, but couldn't help it.
Me: "Oh, not a cat! A cow!"
I've never seen him so reassured before. I promised that we'd never eat cat (let's hope we never have lows that low) and gave him a hug and showed him, since it was finished, what normal cow ground beef looked like.
I think we'll laugh about that one for a while.
If you want a good taco soup recipe that is 100% cat free, go HERE.

8 comments:

Malerie said...

Poor guy. What a morbid moment for him.

ty and megs said...

i can't stop giggling! bless his heart.

Emily said...

That's hilarious! Kids are so imaginative.

JPHOWARDFAMILY said...

Maybe if Jay is ever lucky enough to kill a cougar we could try cat!!! Just kidding...that was hilarious!!

Dave and Ashley Gay said...

:)

HeatherD said...

bahahahaha! That is hilarious!

Cal and Whit said...

Ha ha ha ha ha! I'm with Megs, I can't stop giggling! Neither could Cal when I told him the story! What a sweet little boy!

John and Suzy said...

Love, love, love!